We are a team of dedicated young people trained to actively engage children and young people aged 5-20 years (primarily 8-13) and their families to have a say on issues that affect their lives.
Croydon Xpress aims to increase their participation, allowing them the right to be heard and acknowledged in Croydon. We specialise in making sure children, young people and families are at the core of local decision-making, using planned and regular participation projects, working in partnership across the borough using a range of internationally recognised methods including:
- Kids Xpression Zone (a free, fun day of activities combined with creative participation tools to get children and young people involved in local issues)
- Themed workshops and events (working out solutions to issues raised by children and young people)
- Community based, child friendly research (gather views to influence local policy and planning)
- Multi-media projects such as Participatory Filming
- A page for young people on Croydon Xpress website (our online tool for children and young people to ‘Xpress’ their voice, using discussions and polls, which links to our Facebook, Twitter and You Tube pages)
- Young Evaluators and the HYPE Evaluation Tool ("How Young People Evaluate" toolkit used to measure qualities identified by young people)
- Youth Participation training for professionals working with children and young people (recently delivered to Croydon Safer London Transport Team - Metropolitan Police), designed and lead by young people. Click here for a report. The team has been recently funded again by the Metropolitan Police to deliver four additional session to Croydon police officers in March 2012.
Engaging children and young people through school councils, Croydon Community Bus, Junior Youth Clubs, face to face outreach and more, we bring together their thoughts, opinions and views to influence local and national decision making.