Bring parents together in your neighbourhood
As part of the wider Best Start programme, a partnership of five local voluntary sector organisations (Croydon Voluntary Action, Family Centre New Addington, Home-Start Croydon, Acorns 2 Oaks and St John the Evangelist) is delivering a neighbourhood based programme for parents with children under the age of 5 and their communities called Asset Based Community Development (ABCD).
ABCD brings local people together to make their communities more interesting, healthy, safe and welcoming places to live. We will support and nurture passions and interests of local parents and carers, engaging them at their level, in what they feel passionate enough to act upon. We will bring them to the driving seat, nurturing them to be active rather than passive citizens across the three Planning areas:
- Planning Area 1: Home-Start Croydon (1 builder) in Thornton Heath and St John the Evangelist (1 builder) in Upper Norwood/South Norwood
- Planning Area 2: Home-Start Croydon (1 builder) in Waddon, Acorns 2 Oaks (2 builders) in Selhurst and Broad Green.
- Planning Area 3: Family Centre New Addington (2 builders) in New Addington and Fieldway; Home-Start Croydon (1 builder) in Heathfield.
The ABCD Community Builder represents the initiator, supporter and mentor who, after finding a handful of local people who are known by and who know their neighbours (we call them Connectors), galvanizes curiosity, energy, loyalty and kindness to build strong foundations for an empowered neighbourhood. This is done through:
- Hundreds of conversations with parents, carers, groups, informal clubs and other social networks to uncover people’s strengths, stories, ideas, hopes, skills, passions and resources to understand what it is that local people care enough about to work together to change.
- Activities, including asset mapping of the neighbourhood, bringing together people through community fun events, smaller meetings activists, supporting for local residents initiating new community and grass roots projects.
Get in touch with Best Start Community Builders
Heathfield: Marina Ahmad, Home-Start Croydon firstname.lastname@example.org
Waddon: Natalia Saini, Home-Start Croydon 07841 033391 email@example.com
Thornton Heath: Melissa Cameron, Home-Start Croydon 07841033392 firstname.lastname@example.org
New Addington & Fieldway: James Moore, Family Centre Fieldway 07376105822 email@example.com
Upper Norwood/South Norwood: Jenny Jones, St John the Evangelist 07852 296373 firstname.lastname@example.org
Selhurst: Jenny Jones, Acorns2Oaks 07399448957 JennyJ@acorns2oaks.net
Broad Green: Lorraine Podiephatshwa Acorns2Oaks 07494788919 Lorrainep@acorns2oaks.net