Bring parents together in your neighbourhood
As part of the wider Best Start programme, a partnership of five local voluntary sector organisations (Croydon Voluntary Action, Family Centre New Addington, Home-Start Croydon, Acorns 2 Oaks and St John the Evangelist) is delivering a neighbourhood based programme for parents with children under the age of 5 and their communities called Asset Based Community Development (ABCD).
ABCD brings local people together to make their communities more interesting, healthy, safe and welcoming places to live. We will support and nurture passions and interests of local parents and carers, engaging them at their level, in what they feel passionate enough to act upon. We will bring them to the driving seat, nurturing them to be active rather than passive citizens across the three Planning areas:
- Planning Area 1: Home-Start Croydon (1 part time builder) in Thornton Heath & St John the Evangelist (1 part time builder) in Upper Norwood/South Norwood
- Planning Area 2: Home-Start Croydon (1 part time builder) in Waddon, Acorns 2 Oaks (2 part time builders) in Selhurst and Broad Green.
- Planning Area 3: Family Centre New Addington (1 full time builder) in New Addington and Fieldway; Home-Start Croydon (1 part time builder) in Heathfield.
The ABCD Community Builder represents the initiator, supporter and mentor who, after finding a handful of local people who are known by and who know their neighbours (we call them Connectors), galvanizes curiosity, energy, loyalty and kindness to build strong foundations for an empowered neighbourhood. This is done through:
- Hundreds of conversations with parents, carers, groups, informal clubs and other social networks to uncover people’s strengths, stories, ideas, hopes, skills, passions and resources to understand what it is that local people care enough about to work together to change.
- Activities, including asset mapping of the neighbourhood, bringing together people through community fun events, smaller meetings activists, supporting for local residents initiating new community and grass roots projects.